Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Goodbye tonsils - Hello week off to recover!

This past Friday I went under the knife to remove my pesky tonsils at the ripe old age of 27.  I had been having trouble with "tonsil stones" and it was decided they needed to go.  I was apprehensive but made it through and am recovering well at home.  The hardest part is being away from my class of second graders.  I miss their spunk and my awesome coworkers.  

But, in true teacher fashion, I knew I had to keep myself busy so I have spent the last few days creating some new things to use in my classroom.  It is a goal at our school to help students be as proficient as possible in basic facts by the time they get to third grade.  In reaction to this, I decided to create a booklet that could be used as a daily practice workbook in my classroom.

Up to this point we have been using games and the Everyday Math curriculum to practice basic facts.  I also use iPads to enhance fact practice.  I am all for interactive games but also see the benefit of physically writing numbers, with good old paper and pencil.  As a result my Basic Fact Daily Practice booklet was born.  I plan to bind the books with the "fancy black binding" and keep them in a tub in the room.  They will be used as a supplement in our Daily 3 math rotations.  

Click the pictures below to head on over to TPT.  You can grab yourself a copy there.  I will also include a few freebies along the way!

  
I have organized the book to go through the basic facts starting with +0/1.  The practice pages then move through  a progression of addition and subtraction facts up to 18.  Each new section includes tips and tricks to help students focus their work. 


Word problems/Explain your thinking pages are included in each section to get students thinking beyond the facts.  Language from the Everyday Math curriculum is used.  


Coloring pages and games spice up the practice pages.


Some pages need dice to be completed.  All other materials are easily found in student desks.  


Some pages include jokes to keep students engaged.  

The game above is FREE in my TPT store!

      

The final pages of the booklet include games to be played in partners.  These pages will be available to be purchased individually.  Check out my TPT store for the complete listing!

No comments:

Post a Comment